img { max-width: WIDTHpx !important;

Tuesday 7 January 2014

NailBark - Tools of the Trade

I recently received my prize from Stef (NailBark) for winning a competition on her instagram. I opened the package to see six cute as bottles of nail polish! I decided to do a review of four of the six polishes, because a review on the base coats would require a lot of time.

L-R: Peel Me Shield, Matteness, Cutie-cles, Up On Top.




Peel Me Shield

Peel Me Shield is a peel off base which you can use under any polishes, especially glitter polishes for easy removal. Unlike PVA glue, which can also be used for peel off base coats, Peel Me Shield has a really thin consistency, and dried in half the time. I found that Peel Me Shield wouldn't apply to my nails, but after giving them a swipe with nail polish remover, it would stay on my nails. Below, I used three coats under Ulta3. The brush was a little wonky, but was still usable.






I found that the removal wasn't as easy as PVA glue method. I had to slowly scrape it off my nail whereas when I used PVA glue, I could just peel it off like a sticker. Using Peel Me Shield is still better than the foil method, which kills my cuticles every time!

Matteness

Matteness is a quick drying matte topcoat. It doesn't streak, and turns your shiny polishes into a rubbery look. Below I used one coat over Ulta3 Black Satin.


Before Matteness was applied
With Matteness

Cutie-cles

Cutie-cles is a quick absorbing cuticle oil. It has no scent, or none that I can smell. It hydrates your cuticles, leaving them smooth and soft. Below is a before and after shot. I dried my cuticles out; soaking them in nail polish remover, then taking a hot shower and not moisurising my cuticles throughout the day. Then I applied the cuticle oil, rubbing it into my cuticles for a minute. You can see the difference right away!


My dead and dry cuticles
After rubbing Cutie-cles into my cuticles


Up On Top

Up On Top is a normal topcoat. It has an average drying time of 90 seconds (yes, I timed it). I applied this topcoat over Sally Hansen Fruittie Petutie on my toes. I found that it is still shiny after four whole days, and there is no shrinkage that I can see. Below I applied one coat over Ulta3 Black Satin


Without 'Up on Top'
With 'Up on Top'
NailBark polishes can be bought here. It will also soon be available at Rose st Market sometime this year, so like her on Facebook and follow her on Instagram for updates :)

No comments:

Post a Comment